Thursday, November 29, 2012

traditions

"Tradition, tradition... tradition Tradition, tradition... tradition"

Yes, whenever I hear that word, tradition, my mind goes straight to the opening lines of Fiddler on the Roof. Tevye, the papa, is so wise in the opening lines and I love listening to the monologue every time.

"Because of our traditions, we've kept our balance for many, many years. Here in Anatevka we have traditions for everything... how to eat, how to sleep, even, how to wear clothes. For instance, we always keep our heads covered and always wear a little prayer shawl... This shows our constant devotion to God. You may ask, how did this tradition start? I'll tell you - I don't know. But it's a tradition... Because of our traditions, everyone knows who he is and what God expects him to do." 

During the holiday seasons traditions are everywhere we look. Kids getting their yearly picture with Santa. Families coming together to set up the Christmas tree. Oh, I am sure the list goes on and on. But deep down I think my family has one of the best traditions...yes I am probably a bit biased. But here it goes. 

WE BAKE COOKIES.


And no, I am not just talking about a a few batches. And not just your normal chocolate chip cookies. We make multiples and multiples of tons of cookies! I will save the number of cookies that we made for the end of the blog...just to keep you on your toes... :) Yes, I am sneaky. But lets start with the beginning.

When my mom & her siblings were little, every Sunday during advent my grandma & her kids would bake a type of cookie. By the time Christmas was here they would have plenty of cookies to make Christmas Cookie Trays. Once my aunts & uncles started to get married and have kids the families would all pick a day to get together & bake cookies at my grandparents house. It was an all day event with family fun. Some of the best memories with my cousins took place during Knobbe Cookie Bake. 



Now, with 13 families each family in charge of one type of cookie. It has become one intense, family fun filled day! Below is a hint of just how big it is....


Yes, you are looking at 4 different ovens all in one house! 3 in the garage down on the farm & one in the kitchen. With the upgrade, we now are down at our family fun with the cows, chickens, & puppies! If you want to see a beautiful view check out our ranch's website, Futura Ranch.




This year was extra special for me & my main man. It was our first year contributing to the cookie baking with our own cookie! My parents surprised us the day of cookie bake, with our first official cookie pans (the only cookie pans we allow at cookie bake!), the Knobbe Cookie Bake Recipe Book, & a cookie bake ornament! I was totally surprised & super excited that they surprised me with such an awesome present. 


Now, I guess I can give away the the number of cookies...I dropped enough hints! Did you figure it out yet? Drum roll please....

11,922

2 comments:

  1. What?!!? That's so many cookies! I can't even fathom it haha. This tradition is seriously awesome– there's nothing I love more than power baking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really do think it is an awesome tradition even though we are super crazy hardcore.

      Delete